Thursday 27 May 2010

One, Two and Three

May comes ever close to ending - didn't it just begin?  How time flies when you're having fun.  Well, I'd like to think that I have been having fun.  Promoting a book takes everything out of you.  I feel as if I've spread myself all over the worldwide web like a cyber-slut.  Okay, just disregard that last comment...but you get my meaning.  Selling yourself, is still, basically, selling yourself.

To date I've done ads from Facebook, internationally; email blasts, locally.  Made discreet comments on Twitter (does anyone really take notice of things like that?  Feels like I've been talking to myself, almost) and chatted the book up on my Facebook page till I reckon people no longer take notice of it.  Phew.  The risk of someone coming up with a page that tells people not to 'like' the page is great.  The next step I took was exchange interviews with fellow writers (fellow writers, I think I'm finally getting used to that title) and sending out emails asking for book reviews.  I hope people are actually getting the emails, but their lack of response really makes me begin to wonder.

Something must be paying off, maybe even good old word of mouth.  Checking back on the Champagne Books bookstore site over at Fictionwise, The Lancaster Rule is still ruling the science fiction world at Number One.  I'd really like to think it's the actual book itself that people are liking - maybe even loving - and telling everyone they know that the book is super-cool and you must read it!!  It is, honestly, it is...so quick, go get a copy and have a read.

The recent visit from my friends Jess and Darryl has also re-aligned my thoughts regarding book two, The Master Key.  Jess has been (and I hope she continues to be) my number one fan.  Her enthusiasm that sparked like a brilliant ray of light when she first read The Lancaster Rule, has not diminished in the least.  She used her wily charm and procured a rough draft of The Master Key.  After devouring it, she came up with some solid thoughts on a few areas that, unbeknownst to me, were a bit on the grey side of things.  We sat and clarified it, which then had me rewriting a few areas - possibly even more.  The Master Key is complete, but still needs another re-read and some good old fashioned polishing.  After that, I will submit and hope for the best.

One is done and out, two is to be polished and made ready for submission, and three, The Eternal Knot is finally complete!  Two days ago, I wrote the last chapter and let out a great big sigh of relief.  I was beginning to think that I'd never finish it.  By far, it has taken me the longest to complete, what with all the distractions of publicizing the first one.  I'm in the process of re-reading it and adding a few bits here and there.  After talking with Jess, I realized that my original ending could use a little shake up.  So, I've written an extra chapter which might either stay or not.  I'm still not sure.  It feels a little sad to be saying goodbye to my favourite characters, but all good things must come to an end.  Maybe, this alternative ending may leave things wide open for a possible fourth book.  Maybe not...maybe the re-read might tell me what to do.

Sigh, so The Lancaster Rule series is finally done!  Feels like I've achieved a goal and now am able to move onto the next project (I've two ideas that are in the works).  But even though they are complete, I know I'll be neck-deep busy trying to make sure it still rules!  Being at the top is very hard work.  (Okay, really ignore that last comment since it sounds very much like boasting).

In the next few months, I'll be re-organizing my plan of attack by dishing out a fresh set of ads and email blasts (must not let people forget, right?), and somewhere in there, squeeze in a much needed holiday.

Okay, back to my re-reads...

No comments:

Post a Comment