Friday 20 July 2012

SFFSat - July 21

Welcome to another SFFSat, where a bunch of us post snippets from our written works and shoot the breeze.  Thanks also to everyone who stops by and leaves awesome comments.  Much appreciated!

Today, I'm featuring a snippet from a WIP with the working title of Time Fracture. This is a short story (or not) spawned from an idea my brother had, and where I've embellished into a sort of creepy science fiction borderline paranormal.

The premise is that as we age, we lose time, a phenomena shared by every person. However, in this screwy world, the culprit of this lost time, is Time itself. Our hero must now seek a way to escape its clutches, resetting Time to what it once was.

In this scene, our hero discovers when he lost Time...and when Time had marked him.

Until then, Time stood endless before me; each moment, enchantingly slow, profound, forever.
Memorable.
What happened when I turned eight? What Grim Reaper slashed their wicked sickle through my perpetual bliss? I have narrowed it down to only one thing.
I received my first watch.
A watch is such a remarkable device; crafted by artisans, to allow mortals to follow the progress of Time—to capture it, harness it.
This watch marked my Time.
It fascinated me; I was drawn in by its hypnotic charm, watching the seconds tick, the minutes, the hours—enthralling—and I had no idea that from that moment, Time would mark me, zero in on me, like a big bulls eye.
I was stolen without ever realizing it…

If you're interested in participating in next week's SFF Saturday, stop by their sign-up blog which is open every Wednesdays.  And don't forget to follow the rules and use the #SFFSat hashtag.

Thanks for stopping by!

Cheers!

11 comments:

  1. Still not completely comprehending the premise you described, but a good snippet still. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee. No worries, it's still in the drafting stages...lots more work to do on it. Thanks!!

      Delete
  2. I'm with T.M. I need to read more! Is time an entity all it's own!? Nicely written though, TK!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Time has become an entity...sort of. :)

      Delete
  3. Fascinating concept. Beautifullly crafted. I'd read more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My philosophy/great political thinkers professor would salivate all over this. And so am I. This is a very interesting premise--the idea of Time "stealing" our time to the point where time is not operating as it should and our protagonist seeks to right it. If I'm reading this correctly? I love the interconnectedness of it all...no way to unravel it. And I love that the moment your pro tag became interesting to Time was when he had a watch. Now, I just wonder if everyone who has a time "keeping" device is just as marked? Very interesting ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! And yes, everyone who owns a watch is marked! I am flattered by your words!

      Delete
  5. ooo! That gave me goosebumps right there at the end. Good thing I haven't worn a watch for years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Objective achieved! Thank you. And, me too. I hardly ever wear watches but I'm surrounded by Time Markers everywhere. Ack!

      Delete