Friday 19 July 2013

SFFSat - July 20

Science Fiction Fantasy Saturday (SFFSat) is a place where a bunch of us post snippets from our written works and also shoot the breeze a little. And before I get ahead of myself, thanks and appreciation as always to those who stop by and leave fantastic comments.


This week, things are a little different. We've been asked to do a snippet using a word prompt (still keeping to the 10 sentences, of course). 

The word prompt is SUN.  For the snippet, I thought to share with you the beginnings of a brand new Jax Marlin novella. For those who don't know, Jax is a particular favourite of mine. I mean, who doesn't love a sexy vigilante who gets up to no good, right?



The overhead incandescent light beamed down in the small cubicle, heating her head like an unrelenting sun.

Bugger this.
Jax Marlin tipped her head left and right, inspecting the blossoming bruises forming on her cheek and jawline. It had been a while since she’d gotten herself hammered in a fistfight. But that security bot had been particularly crafty. It seemed someone had gone to the exacting trouble of uploading it with several new fight moves. Jax made a mental note to make sure she upgraded herself. She would not be caught unawares again—ever.
With a final glance at her reflection, Jax gave herself a wink and left the small confines of the orbiter shuttle’s lavatory.


If you are interested in participating in next weeks SFFSat, just click HERE, and follow the rules. Sign up is open every Wednesday - and if you're on Twitter, use the #SFFSat hashtag.



Cheers!

7 comments:

  1. A brand new Jax Marlin novel? YAY! :-)

    Great snippet...and I'm fairly certain we know what the security bot looks like. You know, the old phrase "you should see the other guy." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Glad you enjoyed. And yes, you really should see the other 'guy'. Unfortunately, only ten sentences... ;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, am delighted to hear about a new Jax novel. Loved the first! Need to read the novellas which are on my to-read list.

    I'm now curious as to which forms of unarmed combat she knows and which ones she will learn to add to her repertoire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, good question. I haven't decided as yet, but might as well keep the mystery of it! Glad you likey!!

      Delete
  4. Well, a robot wouldn't bruise ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is something some distinguishing, so endearing, so delightful about her winking at herself. I love the way she thinks. So matter-of-fact.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huh. I guess I should have read the post on the sffs site, but I didn't, since it normally says the same thing every week. So I totally didn't do the word prompt. Anyway...

    Awesome snippet! I really like the "blossoming bruises" part! Nice descriptor.

    ReplyDelete